Re-dedication of Hood Cemetery

posted Sep 29, 2012, 7:42 AM by Webmaster AGLC   [ updated Jan 12, 2013, 4:47 AM ]
The re-dedication of Hood Cemetery was held on Saturday, October 13, 2012. Attended by over 90 members of the community, it was a wonderful celebration of the holy work done by our “Hood Quest” team led by Donn Renwick and Nolan Clemens along with members of the Southlake Historical Society and the Coventry Manor Homeowners Association. The morning included the story of the renovation from Donn, a history of the settlers and veterans by Mike Patterson and a blessing of the cemetery and three new Civil War veteran headstones by Pastor Nick. Period music was provided by the Frontier Brigade Band with a military salute from the Sons of the Confederacy. Refreshments were served by the HOA. 

The care and restoration of Hood Cemetery is an ongoing mission of Abiding Grace Lutheran Church. Volunteers have been working to restore Hood Cemetery to a pristine, historical state in a manner which exemplifies our love of community, our Christian beliefs and our respect for those who first settled in this area. 

Hood Cemetery Rededication, October 13, 2012


Historic Hood Cemetery sits inside the Coventry Manor sub-division (off Peytonville Road in Southlake) with markers dating back to 1855. The cemetery's historic marker reads: "This cemetery was established on the farm of Peters Colonist Thomas H. Hood (ca. 1823-1859), who came to Texas from Missouri about 1845.  The earliest marked grave is that of Urias Martin (1795-1855)...In 1871 Thomas Hood's family formally set aside the one-acre cemetery tract..."